Saturday 19 October 2013

Kitty Cats

I am naturally attracted to all cats and had cats first as pets in my life. I find cats graceful, independent and cool - traits I admire, be it humans or animals. Moreover, cats have a softer and warmer side too, they will seek attention and cuddle up to you. The difference between them and dogs is that cats seek human company only when they are in the mood (attitude!!!), whereas dogs are always eager to please their human companions round the clock, rather tiresome at times as dogs are in constant need of attention. However, dogs provide unconditional love and unwavering loyalty that warms one's heart all the time.

My first cat was a stray which I adopted from the streets but didn't survive beyond a couple of months for reasons attributable to inexperience. Her passing was so devastating that I cried for days, so unbearable that I went looking for another kitten to heal the pain. That led to my 2nd cat, a blue Persian kitten, Nikki with an incredible personality. At that time, I was in 1st year of University and had to leave her alone at home while I head off to lectures and tutorials in campus which made me feel terribly guilty. Hence, a week later I went on to acquire a 2nd kitten, Bloomy - a chinchilla breed to keep Nikki company. Both of them grew up to be the best of friends grooming each other incessantly. Nikki displayed a more dominant character and would shield Bloomy from the annoying dogs that cut into their path. Like me, they were nomads moving with me as I put up in different abodes in my adult years but they proved to be adaptable as the unchanging factor was each other's company.

Years later, a Jack Russell and a Labrador were introduced to the pioneer pair of cats; they coexisted harmoniously under one roof, or rather, indifferently to one another. My ideal is raising a kitten and puppy up together so they will be playmates from young and be affectionate towards each other.



2 comments:

  1. You can say so ;p it's Tabby cat & Exotic Shorthair, just that Mimi has a little bit of folded ears... I was waiting for your pic of Austin but you haven't sent it through so I based mine on a generic Exotic Shorthair look.

    ReplyDelete